Today was Thanksgiving, and I had a lovely day. This has always been one of my favorite holidays. Each year my Mom and my sister and I would get up at the crack of dawn and would cook together all day until we sat down to dinner–the one time during the year that I can recall that we would sit down to a meal together. Since then, it has always been a holiday I look forward to. Today, I spent the day with friends cooking and talking and eating. I was very thankful.
In honor of the beauty and bounty that I experienced today, I would like to post a list of some of my favorite life-affirming books. Because books about adversity are great. Books that help kids deal with their lives and situations. But sometimes the best books are just the books that say that this world is wonderful and we have so much to be grateful for.
So here they are in no particular order:
- Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
- the Lord of the Rings books by J.R.R Tolkein
- Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flag
- Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts
- The Alchemist by Paulo Cuehlo
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
- The Arrival by Shaun Tan
- Last Night I Sang to the Monster by Benjamin Alire Saenz
- Annie On My Mind by Nancy Garden
- Dancing on the Edge by Han Nolan
- Whirligig by Paul Fleischman
- Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
- The Changeling by Zilpha Keatley Snyder
- Stargirl by Jerri Spinelli
- Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
Any other books that really warm your heart and make you think well of the world?